Twenty-First Century Fox and News Corp. announced in separate regulatory filings this week that the Department of Justice has decided not to file charges following the completion of its investigation into the phone-hacking scandal.
As Compliance Week previously reported, News Corp. had been reeling from the phone-hacking scandal—where employees hacked into the voicemail of murder victims, celebrities, and an unknown number of other individuals, and allegedly paid bribes to police for news leads—since 2011. News Corp. and Twenty-First Century Fox faced potential charges for violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act concerning the bribes allegedly paid for the news leads.
In two separate regulatory filings, dated Jan. 28, News Corp. and Twenty-First Century Fox said they were “notified by the Department of Justice that it has completed its investigation of voicemail interception and payments to public officials in London and is declining to prosecute,” the regulatory filings stated.
“We are grateful that this matter has been concluded and acknowledge the fairness and professionalism of the Department of Justice throughout this investigation,” said Gerson Zweifach, general counsel of News Corp., and group general counsel and chief compliance officer of 21st Century Fox in a statement.