Jumping in where the private sector has trailblazed, the federal government is redoubling its efforts regarding the development of artificial intelligence.
On Feb. 11, President Trump directed the Government to prioritize research and development of America’s AI capabilities. “Continued American leadership in Artificial Intelligence is of paramount importance to maintaining the economic and national security of the United States,” he said at a press conference to announce the new initiative on Monday. The effort, comparable to the U.S. race with China to roll out 5G telcomm services, is the latest U.S. effort to seek dominance in emerging technologies.
Highlights of the effort, titled “Accelerating America’s Leadership in Artificial Intelligence,” include:
- supporting long-term research and increasing access to Federal data and computing resources for domestic AI researchers;
- promoting a responsible approach to AI by encouraging transformative applications of AI, while continually improving outcomes for workers and users;
- preparing the workforce for the jobs of the future by directing federal agencies to help Americans gain AI-relevant skills and promoting Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) education;
- directing regulatory agencies to establish guidance for AI development and use across technologies and industrial sectors;
- calling upon the National Institute of Standards and Technology to lead the development of appropriate technical and safety standards for AI systems; and
- protecting America’s advantage in AI by promoting an international environment that supports American AI research and industries while securing critical AI technology.
Trump added that the initiative will prioritize “protecting our National Security Innovation Base against those who illicitly acquire America’s hard-earned intellectual property.”
No comments yet